Countdown to Christmas in LR
Quapaw Quarter Believes!
The Quapaw Quarter Association is a non-profit, membership-based corporation that evolved out of a working group established in 1961 at the behest of John Robinson, then associated with Little Rock’s Housing Authority. Robinson appointed five prominent citizens to a “Significant Structures Technical Advisory Committee” – David D. Terry, Mrs. George Rose Smith (Peg), Mrs. Walter Riddick Sr., Dr. John L. Ferguson, and James Hatcher – who determined that the area, in decline, needed a campaign to create a more positive image. After considering eleven names for the area, the group chose “Quapaw Quarter” based upon the Quapaw Treaty Line of 1818, which ran through the neighborhood. In 1962, the group adopted the name “Quapaw Quarter Committee” (the “Committee”) and expanded its membership. The Committee identified several structures in the neighborhood in need of protection and in 1963 held the first tour of homes to acquaint citizens with the area’s beautiful and historic architecture. In 1963, the Committee also began recognizing important preservation projects with Quapaw Quarter Historic Plaques: Trapnall Hall, then just restored by the Junior League of Little Rock, received the first plaque.
Read all about it at http://www.quapaw.com